Can Soy Products Really Lower Your Testosterone Level?

Many respected members of Extreme Bodybuilding Forums are professional (or at least serious) bodybuilders who make a living from the sport. Recently, I found an article on a 'supplementation' website detailing a little known fact about soy. The article was written by a Certified Clinical Nutritionist with a Doctorate of Philosophy in Nutritional Sciences who goes by the name of Dr. Kaayla T. Daniel.
    Soy products have a chemical called phytoestrogensis in them which is known to lower testosterone levels. Studies have been conducted in rats, monkeys and men and prove the theory is correct to some extent.
    For men, a reduction in testosterone leads to decreased libido, lower sperm count, and decreases the ability to build muscle. If a bodybuilder is drinking soy milk for its other nutritional values, he or she may be unaware that it is possibly lowering their testosterone level - hence lowering their ability to gain lean muscle.
    Other studies show that women who are eating and drinking large quantities of soy complain of fatigue, depression, hair loss, poor skin, and decrease sex drive. This may in fact be ridiculous nonsense; however the research is there to prove relative truth. It is also said that women using soy are at a higher risk of problems with their reproductive system, heavier menstrual flow, increased cramping, and infertility.
    With all this being said, many professionals highly recommend you keep your soy intake to around 36 grams per day (should you wish to consume it at all).
    There are, however, soy alternatives. Should you not suffer from high degrees of lactose intolerance, 'whey' is a perfect alternate source of protein. If you do suffer from lactose intolerance, it's highly recommended you avoid the whey products as they have the ability to cause major problems with the GL tract.
    This thread has no intentions of discriminating the large percentage of users who regularly consume soy milk. This is just an alternate perspective you may want to consider when consuming soy products.
    What do you think? Is this enough to put you off?
    Last edited by The Expert; 03-10-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Re: Can Soy Products Really Lower Your Testosterone Level?

Women only digets 17% of whey protein which is what causes them to have gas and GI stress. There are whey proteins out there that have had the side chains cleaved off, leaving only di and tri-peptide chains.

Re: Can Soy Products Really Lower Your Testosterone Level?

What happens to whey protein taken PWO if it contains zero carbs? Answer this and I will consider you knowledgable, but not an expert.

Re: Can soy products really lower your testosterone level?

The article was solely to display the possible threats soy may cause. As for your question however, I would recommend taking a different source to acquire the carbohydrates. Some people take creatine with their whey just because it generally contains more carbohydrates. Although, this isn't a very efficient way of going about gaining the carbohydrates because it can create a very unpleasant taste. Having a high carbohydrate meal in your post-workout session is the best way to acquire the additional carbohydrates needed for sustaining a healthy diet.
    The idea of taking whey was plainly if you wish to take an alternative to soy or regular cows milk.

nice wording, but not the answer. Creatine contains ZERO carbs so it would not be considered an additional carb source.

Why do you need carbs post workout?

If you only ingest protein w/o carbs PWO, what happens to the protein?

Anyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guns View Post
    nice wording, but not the answer. Creatine contains ZERO carbs so it would not be considered an additional carb source.

Anyone.....
    I'd imagine depending how depleted your glyocogen stores were the protein would be broken down and used for glycogen replenishment. However, I think that would only happen if your stores were completely depleted.

Engineering Muscle

Anyone.....

Is it a trick question? Does it not change anything?

I honestly don't know, I sit on the fence. I don't go taking spoonfuls of sugar PWO, but I do eat oatmeal.

Resident Badass

arent carbs more of a preworkout type thing???? you dont really need that much energy after if you workout at 8pm lol, you sure as hell want protein pwo for repair/growth right???

any protein tanken PWO will get converted into glycogen. The liver will be depleted and will need to convert first, so PWO sugar is essential. 1quick1 scores.

any protein tanken PWO will get converted into glycogen. The liver will be depleted and will need to convert first, so PWO sugar is essential. 1quick1 scores.
    because of that, I recommend reaching for a quick digesting carb like a non-fiberous fruit or some juice instead of something like wheat bread or an apple.

It's also the only time I'd say it's really okay to have "junk" that has sugar cane or corn syrup in it.

I didn't read the article, but when women consume soy doesn't it help raise their estrogen levels? I think I read that somewhere on a pamphlet... me and progesterone don't get along very well... So i took birth controll pills with estrogen instead.
    Last edited by sdb; 03-11-2009 at 09:33 PM.