Thread: Newb Here!

Newb Here!

Hello!

My name is Eric, and I just got connected with this site. A little about me..., I am 50 yrs. old, 6' 2" tall, and weigh 250 lbs. I just recently enrolled in a couple of P.E. classes at the local community college to lose weight and get in shape. I am taking beginners weight training, and aerobics. The classes are only two days a week, (mons. & weds). I could really use some help with my weight training....I haven't a clue about what I'm doing. The coach just opens the door and let us go at it. We've been at it now for three weeks now, and I'm beginning to see some results in my chest, (which were beginning to look like breast). I have a problem with my left & right shoulder joints which prevent me from benching free weights, and the only alternative is the universal seated bench press. Can anyone offer some other alternatives? Also, I would like to build bulk in my quads....could use a lot of help here fellas!!! And, especially a diet......

Administrator

Re: Newb Here!

the biggest issue that my trainer mentioned to me when I started training was to forget the chest ... at least for the first few months ... and focus on the back. Most people ignore their back completely and isn't usually balanced enough to begin working on the chest ... something to think about. It actually works out pretty good for me, as I a have serious issues with my right shoulder from playing hardball for 20 years.

Welcome aboard - Want to bulk up your quads huh? Time for SQUATS!!! I would focus on the big compound lifts as much as possible (deadlifts, squats, military press, etc.) Are you able to do dips or are those tough on your shoulders as well?

What does your diet look like right now? What are your short term and long term goals?

Again, welcome.

Gym Rat

First I will respond to the bench pressing issue.

A lot of people actually bench incorrectly, even those that bench 315lbs+. You can tell right away if someone has bad form benching if their anterior delts (front shoulders) are disproportionately big to their chest. This happens because most people do not 1) retract their shoulder blades for the bench, and 2) do not bring their elbows in as they descend during the bench press. http://train.elitefts.com/instructio...ench-parts1-7/

Additionally, as CdnBoy mentioned, many people have a weak back, which includes weak external rotators. This can lead to a hunched over posture. To fix this, do not work your interior rotators - these will get worked naturally with pressing movements. Instead, concentrate on doing either lying dumbbell or cable exercises to strengthen your exterior rotators. In addition, I would also do band pullaparts (take a big exercise rubber band, hold it in front of you with a slight bend at the elbows, and pull the band apart with your shoulder blades) and face pulls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQS-tXL1CLg).

Work your external rotators every time you do upper body work, and face pulls or band pull-aparts at least once a week also. Doing other upper back work will also aid in correcting muscle imbalances. You can start off with a lat pulldown machine if you can't do pullups, but as soon as you can I would do pullups and/or chinups for back work, as well as things like pendlay rows or bent over barbell rows.
    Last edited by Torobestia; 02-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Gym Rat

Now to answer your question on what your lifting routine should look like, you have a few good options you should chose. I like Starting Strength, mostly because it focuses on the big lifts and the frequent squatting is ok for beginners since their bodies will respond very well to this without plateauing too quickly. So look up "Starting Strength," and do that for a while.

I don't know if the program describes when you should stop it. The following is my opinion on when you should stop the program IF the program doesn't tell you this already. Definitely try it for at least 16 weeks. After that, if you are still making gains, stick with it. If you go like 3 weeks without making any gains, I think that would be the best time to switch to something like Stronglifts 5x5. You should be able to reap gains from that program for at least 2-3 years or until interest fades. From there, you can continue that, or research other lifting templates.