New Dad - Lunch Time Exercise - Running &?

Hi all

I am a new dad and have lost a lot of fitness / muscle from not doing anything for a year. As you can imagine my time is now very limited to baby time then some time with my partner.

I do have 1 hour lunch times though and thought I could spend 30 minutes of this a day doing exercise. My questions is - are there any techniques when running to also try and keep / put on a bit of upper body muscle. I can't really think of anything (does carrying weights when running work well?)

Or if you have any other exercises / techniques to do for 30 mins (at work so out in the street etc)

Thanks
    Rob

Re: New Dad - Lunch Time Exercise - Running &?

running with weights will tone your arms... but will not add any mass as far as i know. You could always do bodyweight movements at work... or even take some dumbells and a pullup bar to work do use in your free time.

Cam

Insiders

If your goal is to tone up and add muscle mass, I would do circuit work for the first 20 minutes and then you can run the last 10.

Try a high rep circuit plan like chest/triceps on Monday/Thursday, back/biceps/shoulders on Tuesday/Friday, and leg and ab work on Wednesday.

Your rest periods between sets would be extremely limited in order to burn more calories and tone up. Do one chest exercise and go directly into a tricep exercise, then repeat for 2 more sets with no rest. Once that is done, rest up for a minute or so and then move on to a different chest and tricep exercise with the same idea in mind.
    After the 20 minutes are up you'll have burned quite a bit of calories already and can spend the last ten minutes walking at an incline or riding a bike to burn some more.

Getting Muscular

Agreed circuit training would be optimal for you.