Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swimming after weight lifting - not a good idea?

Hi.

I was told at the gym the other day that going swimming after lifting weights will waste all the work I have just done. ie. I won't get any bigger becuse the blood has been pumped to different parts of my body when swimming.

Is this true? The guy who told me was just another gym go'er like myself so I don't want to take JUST his word for it.

Any advice appreciated.

Dinosaur

Re: Swimming after weight lifting - not a good idea?

That's a good question, I'm curious too.
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday when I passed by the pool.

I know that swimming after weights reduces inflammation by pumping blood through the body, buffering lactic acid and reducing soreness the next day - so you might very well be less swollen/inflamed after swimming... but surely it can't erase your work out from your body's memory. It doesn't untear the muscles and put them back to how they were before your weight routine. That's impossible. I think it will assist in your recovery and your body will appreciate it.

through some experience i have found that swimming makes me more sore the next day after a workout. i found after working out my biceps then a swim made them feel alot tighter and bigger and sore the next day.

i think it is a good way to cool the body of as well. i know in australia after football games and training (AFL) the athletes go for a swim, ice baths etc.

You'd be alot better off eating some food and replenishing your glycogen stores.

If you done it proper way its not bad.You will use the routine two to three times each week, progressing through each phase. The first few sessions in each phase establish starting points for the rest of the sessions. The final phase is for the last four to five weeks before your biggest competition. you should stop lifting weights 10 days before the first day of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by smithgerry View Post
    If you done it proper way its not bad.You will use the routine two to three times each week, progressing through each phase. The first few sessions in each phase establish starting points for the rest of the sessions. The final phase is for the last four to five weeks before your biggest competition. you should stop lifting weights 10 days before the first day of the competition.
    WTF??? Did you even read the original question?

It all depends on why you are weight training.
    If you are training in order to get big, then you definitely should not be swimming after the gym.
    To build muscle, it is imperative that you give your body good and sufficient rest after working out.
    Swimming, takes away from that and will hinder your progress.
    However, if you are just training to improve your muscle tone and improve fitness levels, going swimming after the gym will do no harm at all.

You are right.Your idea is very good.I am always end a gym session in the swimming pool for some cardio.The swimming can help blood and nutrients get into your muscles.I have said do a month of each and find out which one works best for you.I thought the problem people have with swimming is that it burns quite a few calories if you do it properly,it is much harder than running and if you're on a bulk, you do not want this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sens View Post
    You'd be alot better off eating some food and replenishing your glycogen stores.
    x2. I think swimming is a great way to get some low (almost no) impact cardio in, but if your goals are gaining muscle mass you're going to want to eat after the workout...and eating + swimming generally do not mix.

Swimming, or any cardio after a weight training session is fine. You do want to get the blood sugar back up after a hard workout to keep the body from going into starvation mode and using muscle for energy, but you have some time. Weight lifting does not burn enough calories to trigger this response right away.

Cardio on the other hand will, so you will want to eat after the swimming session.

The one thing I would be cautious of is joint injury. If you have just finished a tough upper body workout and then hit the pool, some of the strokes require a lot of shoulder stability. The rotator cuff may be fatigued from the weight training putting you at higher risk of shoulder injuries. Maybe save swimming for lower body days and machine cardio/running for upper body.

sounds good to me

I think at the end of the day you have to consider what is most important and how ot balance your weight training with regular activities. If your goal is to be a professional bodybuilder then by all means don't swim after a workout and spend all of your time in the gym or eating and sleeping. If that isn't your goal- then I would say go ahead and enjoy your swim. You have to have a balance and remember that your time in the gym should enhance your other activities not supplant them.

Hope this helps.

Hello i am john marsh talk to you fantastica site in my hand in this time.This is very helpful for me and others.It all depends on why you are weight training.
    If you are training in order to get big, then you definitely should not be swimming after the gym.
    To build muscle, it is imperative that you give your body good and sufficient rest after working out.
    ok
    Thank's.