Thread: Knee pain

Knee pain

I have been getting some knee pain on my left knee when I do squats, its really bugging me, what do you think it can be?

Have you tried using supports for your knees? I started and they really help. Also, you may want to check out the form you use, and your shoes too - if there's not enough arch support, it could cause extra stress on your knees.

Hope that helps.

Muscular
    Are you already warmed up? I like to do hamstring prior to quads. Squats are actually the last exercise I do now. This way I can lessen the weight with the same results.

Thanks for the replys, maybe I could add these in!

how is your form?do you bounce at the bottom?i used to get a lot of knee pain till i squated deeper,controlled the decent and stopped bouncing at the bottom of the movement.

Actually, do you do ATG squats? I used to do half-squats, and I used to get quite a bit of knee strain till I changed to ATG squats and controlled it - the knee supports came a little later.

Just a thought.

Excessive forward lean and the lack of a good warm up can be the culprit...Take your time warming up for such heavy compound movements.

When you squat, do you squat deep?? Do you push off the balls of ur feet or the heel?

Gym Legend
    use to happen to me too! It was because I went down too fast maybe this is why?

Muscular
    Over the years I found that going deep and with a slow and controlled movement help take the pain from the knees.......with emphasis on slow

what is the pain like? is it a spliting pain?

I used to get pain in my right knee when I did squats but since I started trying to hit my outter quads more and I do squats with my legs closer together. my knees feel better.

Hows your form? if your knees are going past your toes then that is what is causing the problem. it might sound funny but you have to stick your ass out a bit

Re: Knee pain

Hi Friends,
    I am 25 and on Sept 27 dislocated my knee. It proppedback in place but the mri said torn patellofemoral ligamentAnterior, smaill joint effusion and contusion of femoral condyle. My kneecap will still completely sublux also. I have been in a brace and been doing ptPost-traumatic stress disorder at home. My last follow up the aid my muscles are still extremely atrophied and increased the ptPost-traumatic stress disorder, said he would operate if not better in 4wks. I am still having pain when walking and being woken at night by pain. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar injury and what the healing time is, I have heard it can be up to 1yr? If you had a similar surgery how did it go? The ortho said mine would be an open procedure and involve grafting. Can you tell me what grafting is? Any advice on how to speed the healing, decrease this pain or avoid surgery would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Knee pain

At your age a torn ligament is a MUST fix!! I tore my ACL w/ meniscus damage. 8 week NON-WEIGHT bearing (no pressure on that leg at all) I was snow skiing bumps 8 months later. I've had 3 surgeries to the same knee.

They take part of a tendon either from you patteller, or hamstring and use that to replace the one torn.

The key to "quick" recovery is doing EVERYTHING the Dr. and PT tell you to do. There will be some pain in PT, put only in small intervals ie: 10-20 seconds. Wimp out and it could take a year to heal, nut up and you will be done in 6-8 weeks. Also, if you can get on a spin bike at the gym and spin every day before surgery...that will help w/ the atrophy.

Why didn't you ask your Dr. what grafting meant??? That's why he is there....ask questions.

You will get pain meds, but Ibuprofin works just as well after the first week..

Don't go to a shitty Dr.